Model making with a South African persuasion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Model making with a South African persuasion

Hosted by Geoff Pereira (jugjunkie)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

"The Huff" F86F Sabre

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Phil
Master Warrant Officer
Master Warrant Officer
Phil

"The Huff" F86F Sabre Empty
PostSubject: "The Huff" F86F Sabre   "The Huff" F86F Sabre Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 3:22 pm

Started this one for a USAF NMF GB at another forum after I hit a big snag with the Lancaster dambuster build,,here it is in full

My second try at NMF using Tamiya A/S and T/S sprays as a basecoat, and for panel colour variations, and my first ever F86 Sabre.

No primer was used under the sprays.

Note: after the Mr Metal Aluminum was applied a pair of white cotton gloves were used to handle the model all the time.
They stop stains and also become saturated with the metal paint dust, this helps also as they can polish any scuffs and light stains which you seem to get out of the hi shined areas. Idea 

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_8569A-1

not much done just tried the IP, seat and stick to see how it looks,
"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0496s

putting the pilot fig in so no need for belts, engine disappears so just sprayed that silver and that will do
"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0497s

15grams of lead weight is fitted if you are wondering what that big lump is on the nose intake!

next update.
Well I wasn't not really impressed by my efforts at this stage after taking extra care cleaning up parts and test fitting,  not sure if it was me or the kit, seems the members who are building Sabres atm are all doing an academy kit? which I would of thought were all the same but with dif markings - seems they all have their own quirks for fit.

I found the wing root fit on mine was near perfect, nose intake ring was a shocker, seemed like a 1/47th instead of a 48th.

Bad inward curve on the bottom join line going towards the tail and the main wing join to the fuselage bottom.

The two upper fuse parts you have to glue in were just too big to fit, once again seemed like 1/47 sized parts - out of scale, even though their is no such thing but gives you an idea what the parts were like to fit

I've come to the conclusion that if you want to do a NMF bird - start with a Tamiya kit!!

Anyway here is my nightmare, as it is now.

Sprayed with Tamiya A/S 12 then some small panels masked over, then Tamiya T/S 17.

I let the T/S 17 dry for three days, just to be sure the gloss was fully cured, the A/S 12 drys fully in a day, not the T/S17 - could be our temps and humidity.

previous masked panels are still covered.

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0505x

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0511x

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0516x

now for the horrid underside
"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0509x

As you can see detail has been obliterated due to the stupid oversized nosecone
"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0510x

I thought this may turn out to be an exercise in NMF shades of silver, or I'll just chuck it into a bucket of black wash and let it drip dry.........

next update.
After a mammoth masking effort from the previous night, had a perfect sunny day so out with the Mr Metal Aluminum.
This was sprayed straight from the bottle, over the second round of silver Tamiya rattle T/S 17 gloss Aluminum which I masked
"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0520xp

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0527xp

Left it alone for 3 hours then the first cautious polish, with the masking tape still on selected panels
"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0532xi

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0542xi

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0540xi

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0537xi

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0551xi

Full sunshine coming up
"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0554xib

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0556xi

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0557xi

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0558xi

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0559xi

Final polish then all masking tape off
"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0573xfb

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0579xf2

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0582xf2

maybe I can run an oil stain down that cursed join......
"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0567xf

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0577xf

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0576xf

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0575xf

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0566xf

Thanks to Ian for the idea for the centre of wing color tip, and I copied Ian's nosecone color which got rid of one prob quite nicely!

Testors metalizer sealer 1409 next

next update
Me being me, I have been fussing over this build, here she is now standing on her own three feet, the sealer dulled everything a bit more than I like

What I have found with the Mr Hobby metal paint is you can put a dob of wet paint on a palette let it dry - then rub a Q-tip around in it then apply to selected areas on the model, thus reviving the shine.

anyhow, where I'm at

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0617g

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0621g

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0622g

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0623g1

Droptanks are just dry fitted,
The port side gun cover is fixed as I'm not prepared to cut that lovely dragon decal, stb side will be open.

decals tomorrow!

next update
That underside rear seam annoyed me so know it's gone - but created a small prob, the large yellow fuse decal will hide it though.

Okay, here we go....

These Cartograf decals are the ant's pants, beautiful to work with

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0651h

That fuselage band was so tough to line up, and having to join it underneath was a pain, a little trim and some semi gloss Tamiya black
tidied it up.

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0646h

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0653h

Humbrol 69 gloss yellow is a close match for the decal yellow, trimmed the 'lightning bolt' on the tanks as per the real ''Huff"
"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0655h1

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0656h1

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0657h1

more to come soon, one thing about these decals is the words on stencils are readable, very nice work from Cartograph Italy.

and I have to repaint the tyres again........

I had to include this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7VYrhfDJeQ

I think that pilot was buzzing when he got out!

next update
Some more decals on, these are so freaking good to apply I can't stop raving about them

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0691d_2000

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0692d2000

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0694d2000

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0697dx

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0700dx

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0702dx

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0707d

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0708dx

Final update
Well...........

here she is all done.

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0928F12000

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0918f12000

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0916f12000

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0900f1

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0927f1

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0925f1

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0924f1

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0923f1

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0922f1

"The Huff" F86F Sabre DSC_0917f1

The last for 2013
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Warrant Officer Class 1
Warrant Officer Class 1
Snowy

PostSubject: Smokin'!!   "The Huff" F86F Sabre Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 4:18 pm

That is one smokin' kit, bub!! That aluminium finish is a peach!!

Well done! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
jugjunkie
Chief of the Air Force
Chief of the Air Force
jugjunkie

PostSubject: Re: "The Huff" F86F Sabre   "The Huff" F86F Sabre Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 6:14 pm

Absolutely KILLER Phil
Back to top Go down
https://modelmaker.forumotion.com
Phil
Master Warrant Officer
Master Warrant Officer
Phil

PostSubject: Re: "The Huff" F86F Sabre   "The Huff" F86F Sabre Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 3:18 pm

Thankyou Snowy and Geoff, it is strange to me that on another forum I got heaps of replies while building this one yet three replies on the finished model, one of these was criticism of lack of weathering.

Now taking into account that my weathering skills are generally shite! My main aim was not to fuck this finish up, and present this one as fairly brand new, do people forget or over look aircraft were new once??

This finish in Mr Metal paint is tricky to say the least, it is fragile, but I think more stable than that Alclad stuff.

This was my reason not to ''experiment'' with even panel line accents.

Sorry for my venting frustration but it does get one down after taking great care to get a decent NMF.

It is very nice to get a positive reply after all this time and effort one puts into these things.

Back to top Go down
jugjunkie
Chief of the Air Force
Chief of the Air Force
jugjunkie

PostSubject: Re: "The Huff" F86F Sabre   "The Huff" F86F Sabre Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 6:53 pm

That gets to me too, everyone is interested in how a build progresses and then says shit when it's done.
Back to top Go down
https://modelmaker.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "The Huff" F86F Sabre   "The Huff" F86F Sabre Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"The Huff" F86F Sabre
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Model making with a South African persuasion :: Aircraft :: Post WWII :: Work in Progress-
Jump to: