Model making with a South African persuasion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Model making with a South African persuasion

Hosted by Geoff Pereira (jugjunkie)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

HUMBROL PAINTS

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MAD STEVE
Senior Chief Warrant Officer
MAD STEVE

HUMBROL PAINTS Empty
PostSubject: HUMBROL PAINTS   HUMBROL PAINTS Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 7:20 am

Hiya chaps...

Have you guys, of late, found that Humbrol paints dont seem to give the coverage that they used too?
Ive been painting up some figures using brand new tins which I purchased a couple of weeks ago. I do my usual routine, vigorous shaking, then stirring, put a blob on a pallette, then a little more stirring and onto the model.

Tell you why im asking. I have some old humbrol paints that are still A1, im talking some are probably 10years old, (yes, look after them right and they still work), and even some old Authentic Colours too, and they seem to cover more easily. Less streaking, less translucent etc.
For the record, Im a 99% brush painter, I like to buy the best brushes I can afford and look after them correctly.

It just seems that, the newer type of Humbrol doesnt cover as well as it used too. Even black, of all colours.

I do remember a couple weeks ago I think, a chap on BM said something similar, but i didnt really take much notice, but when I was painting up some of the new Airfix British Infantry last night, the paint was, well a bit wishy washy...
Been using Humbrol since day 1, and i see no real reason to change, (also use Tamiya), so before some wisearse says, hello, change your paint...

Thoughts?

Steve
Back to top Go down
jugjunkie
Chief of the Air Force
Chief of the Air Force
jugjunkie

HUMBROL PAINTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUMBROL PAINTS   HUMBROL PAINTS Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 5:36 pm

I for one could offer nothing here. I am a 99% airbrush person and I cannot remember the last time I used any of my Humbrol paints. I use Acrylics 90% of the time and when I use Enamels, i go for Model Master.
Back to top Go down
https://modelmaker.forumotion.com
Phil
Master Warrant Officer
Master Warrant Officer
Phil

HUMBROL PAINTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUMBROL PAINTS   HUMBROL PAINTS Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 2:44 pm

That's a strange one Steve, I use Humbrol enamels for all my detail painting, brush, figs, IP's sidewalls etc and have not encountered that prob you have found.

I also have used the paints from day one of modelling, like you still have some old tins with the original markings that are still good.

Last spray was with 117 'super enamel' no probs there, so at a loss to your washed out look.

Only thing I can think to do is email Humbrol if possible and ask if they have changed the paint mix, or a had a bad batch.

Back to top Go down
MAD STEVE
MAD STEVE

HUMBROL PAINTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUMBROL PAINTS   HUMBROL PAINTS Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 2:53 pm

Howdy Phil

Yeah, I dont know, I think poss it may have just been a bad batch or something.
I went out and got me a few more tins at the weekend, various colours for various things and didnt really have a problem.
I chucked the offending tin of black and replaced it, and the new tin seems fine again, go figure.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Phil
Master Warrant Officer
Master Warrant Officer
Phil

HUMBROL PAINTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUMBROL PAINTS   HUMBROL PAINTS Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 3:09 pm

One thing I have found is some of the lids pop off after you reseal them, that one I can't work out!

The 85 and 33 also seem to go very gluggy sometimes, maybe the seal isn't tight enough, these days I cover some of the tins with three layers of Tam mask tape cut into squares, this seems to help keeping the paint ''fresh'' - also keeps the lids on.

I had a similar prob with model masters RLM 04 yellow, when thinned it had white streaks thru the spray, bought a new bottle, same thinner/mix = perfect result.

Back to top Go down
MAD STEVE
MAD STEVE

HUMBROL PAINTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUMBROL PAINTS   HUMBROL PAINTS Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 3:29 pm

Ahh.. now that one I can explain.
When you shake the tins and the paint sticks to the lid, it sometimes slides down the sides of the little raised sections on the lid and when you put the lid pack on the tin, basically you have a lubricated joint between lid and pot. Dont know all the technicalities, but fumes/chemicals/murphy/little pink unicorns, cause the lid to pop off.
Just wipe the tin opening and lid clean, before you close it again and hey presto, she stays put...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HUMBROL PAINTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUMBROL PAINTS   HUMBROL PAINTS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HUMBROL PAINTS
Page 1 of 1